Seasonal Pest Exterminators
Seasonal Pest Control Service
Serving all of Vermont
Here in Vermont, we encounter our fair share of pests throughout the year. While some critters are persistent and never seem to take a break, others pop up unexpectedly. If you want to keep your property pest-free long-term, it’s important to plan for seasonal pests. Working with seasonal pest exterminators you can trust ensures you’ll never be caught unprepared. Here’s what you need to know about common seasonal pests in Vermont and how seasonal pest control works.
Need a pest control estimate?
Click the button below to leave your information.
Seasonal Pest Exterminators for Vermont Homes and Businesses
Pests like cockroaches and bed bugs are active no matter which season it is. However, there are several pests that only show up during specific times of the year. In Vermont, here’s what pests you can expect during different times of the year:
With warmer temperatures, more and more insects wake up and start reproducing. That’s why most people associate pest problems with spring and summer seasons. Some common spring pests in Vermont include:
- Ticks: Frequently found in wooded areas or fields, ticks like to jump onto pets and your pet may accidentally carry them inside. Since they can transmit serious diseases to humans and animals, it’s crucial to treat tick infestations early.
- Carpenter ants: Similar to termites, carpenter ants cause serious damage to wooden structures. Though they are most active in the summer, they usually begin to swarm in the spring.
Warm weather and blossoming plants provide most insects with everything they need to thrive. Here in Vermont, watch for these common summer pests:
- Mosquitoes: It’s not just that their bites are annoying. Mosquitoes can spread diseases such as malaria and West Nile Virus, which could lead to long-term health consequences.
- Bees and wasps: Though bees can be beneficial to the environment, aggressive stinging insects like wasps pose a safety threat if they settle in too close to your property.
- Bed bugs: Bed bugs are active all year, but there’s usually a spike in new infestations in the summer due to vacation travel. It’s very easy to pick up bed bugs while at a hotel, on an airplane, or in other public places, which is why these are sometimes considered a seasonal pest.
With cooling temperatures, some rodents and insects try to sneak indoors for shelter and easy access to food. For this reason, you may see these pests more frequently in the fall:
- Boxelder bugs: Though not considered hazardous to human health, they can stain surfaces with their fecal matter. Boxelder bugs typically remain outdoors in sunny or wooded areas until temperatures start to drop.
- Mice: Rodents are active year-round but much more likely to infest homes and businesses in the fall or winter. All rodents can spread diseases to humans and lead to major health consequences.
- Stink bugs: Common across the United States and known for emitting a foul-smelling odor when frightened, stink bugs are often found near windows or doors, and primarily feed on plant matter.
Nobody likes being out in the cold, and that includes pests! With how cold winters get here in Vermont, it’s no wonder that pests try to take advantage of our warm and food-filled homes. In the winter, you are more likely to find these pests:
- House centipedes: With up to 90 pairs of legs and the ability to run extremely fast, house centipedes are more frightening than harmful. In fact, they’re highly beneficial for their voracious appetite of cockroaches, ants, spiders, and other pests.
- Silverfish: While they usually infest homes in winter while searching for something to eat, silverfish can contaminate your food if they make it into your pantry.
Seasonal Pest Control FAQs
It can be tricky to prevent seasonal pests, especially since each has its own habits and characteristics. However, it’s not impossible! Staying proactive and keeping your property in good shape can help you avoid all sorts of unwanted critters. Some of the best ways to avoid seasonal pests include:
- Routinely inspecting your property
- Sealing off any potential openings
- Avoiding bringing outdoor items into your home
- Keeping your landscaping neat and tidy
- Fixing moisture issues promptly
- Working with a professional
It all comes down to awareness. First, be aware of the seasonal pest threats here in Vermont so you know what to look for. Secondly, conduct regular inspections of your home. They don’t have to be thorough inspections – they can be quick. Just walk around and see if you notice anything. If you notice signs of pests or something seems unusual, be ready to deal with the problem before it gets out of control.
Seasonal Pest Exterminators in Vermont
Ready to keep your home or business safe from pests all year long? Vermont Pest Control is here to help! Our team has extensive experience with local pests and knows how to implement effective pest exclusion techniques. Give us a call today to schedule your appointment!
Need help with Seasonal Pests?
Get a quote with no-obligation.
Seasonal Pest Exterminators – Control – Removal in Vermont
Serving Vermont since 1991