Mosquitoes and ticks play a role in the transmission of many global diseases, but to date, coronavirus is not one of them. Here at Vermont Pest Control, we know how distressing things are during these uncertain times. New information about COVID-19 is being released every hour, and our team is closely monitoring the situation. As always, our focus continues to be the safety and health of our communities in Vermont. For that reason, we’re here to dispel the myth that mosquitoes and ticks spread coronavirus. They are responsible for transmitting many vector-borne diseases, which are not spread from person to person as COVID-19 is. Using information from the CDC, we’ve compiled the facts into this new blog post. Keep reading to learn more!
Coronavirus vs. Mosquito & Tick-Borne Diseases
Mosquito-borne and tick-borne diseases are unlike COVID-19 mainly in the fact that they do not spread from person to person. It’s important to know how this virus is reported to spread:
- Coronavirus is a respiratory virus that is spread from person to person. Vector-borne diseases are not.
- Research has shown that this virus spreads from droplets from saliva or nasal discharge, often generated when an infected person sneezes or coughs. This virus can also be spread when contact is made with contaminated surfaces.
- Avoiding exposure with infected persons is the best way to prevent this virus. It is very contagious, which is not the case with vector-borne diseases.
Worldwide Vector-Borne Diseases
They may not transmit coronavirus, but mosquitoes and ticks historically transmit some of the world’s most dangerous diseases. These two insects are vectors. Vector-borne diseases are different than coronavirus in several ways. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), “vector-borne diseases are human illnesses caused by parasites, viruses and bacteria that are transmitted by vectors”. These dangerous diseases include:
- Mosquitoes are infamous for transmitting malaria, Zika virus, West Nile virus, chikungunya, yellow fever, and more.
- Lyme disease, currently the most common vector-borne disease in the nation, is transmitted by ticks.
Vermont Pest Control is Here For You!
Mosquitoes and ticks do not transmit coronavirus, but they are certainly dangerous. During these uncertain times, we know that pests are still a problem for residents throughout Vermont. Our team is continuing to provide essential pest control services right now and all year long for the safety of our people and communities.
Is Coronavirus Transmitted by Mosquitoes or Ticks? in Vermont
Serving Vermont since 1991