Many people have dug into the back of their pantry for a bag of rice or flour only to be surprised by hundreds of small bugs. True to their name, pantry pests are a number of tiny bugs that infest items often stored in your pantry. These insects are known to infest flour, cake mixes, grains, sugar, and more, and it’s easy for them to do so when you don’t store your dry goods properly. To avoid the horror of coming across an infestation, it’s important to learn what you can do to prevent pantry pests. The team at Vermont Pest Control knows how frustrating these pests can be–read on for our top tips on preventing them!
All About Pantry Pests
These pests are known to infest a number of items in your pantry, including flour, sugar, cake mixes, open cereal boxes, powdered milk, and more. Some of the many insects will look for food sources around which they can build nests and mate. There are several types of insects that are considered to be pantry pests. Some of them include:
Follow These Tips to Prevent Pantry Pests
No one wants tiny bugs invading their cupboards and food items! Thankfully there are a few things you can do to prevent pantry pests. Our 5 tips are:
- Securely store dry goods. To keep pests out, always store food and baking ingredients in airtight containers.
- Place bay leaves in containers. Sticking a bay leaf inside canisters of dry goods like flour, rice, and other grains. May help to repel pests.
- Inspect your groceries. At the grocery store and before bringing them indoors, check your purchased goods for any signs of damage or use.
- Check the date. Before you use your ingredients from a year or two ago, make sure to check the expiration date and toss any expired items.
- Keep a clean kitchen. Always wipe up spills or messes to avoid attracting pests, and clean out your pantry regularly.
Pantry Pest Control Services
Finding a pantry pest infestation can be overwhelming. It’s important to remove infested items and dispose of them securely. Always clean out your shelves as well! For assistance with or questions about your pantry pest problem, the team at Vermont is here to help. Contact our team today to learn more.
5 Ways to Prevent Pantry Pests in Vermont
Serving Vermont since 1991