How to Prevent Mosquitoes in Your Yard
Mosquitoes will flock to areas on your property where they can breed. In order to breed, mosquitoes need to find standing water sources. To prevent mosquitoes in your yard, then, you have to eliminate potential mosquito breeding grounds in your yard. This includes:
- Pouring out or covering standing water
- Covering pools, spas, and birdbaths
- Put screens on windows and doors
- Install fans in outdoor areas
- Hire an professional mosquito exterminator
Why Do I Have Lots of Mosquitoes in My Backyard?
Certain climates lead to higher mosquito numbers than others. If you live in a place with a humid summer, you are almost guaranteed to experience mosquito problems. Here in Vermont, our mosquito problems are generated by our heavily wooded areas. Mosquitoes will usually take over your backyard if they find a suitable place to breed. This is why it’s important to get rid of potential mosquito attractants.
Do You Have a Mosquito Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
6 Ways to Keep Mosquitoes Away in Vermont
The top strategies to keep mosquitoes away from your yard are:
- Eliminate still water. Pour out still water in buckets, birdbaths, tarps, gutters, flowerpots, and more. Mosquitoes lay their eggs on stagnant water.
- Put fish in ponds and agitate the water. Some fish like to eat mosquito larvae. You could also add an agitator to stop mosquitoes from laying eggs in your pond.
- Install screens. Putting up screens on your doors and windows can keep mosquitoes from getting inside when you just want fresh air in your home.
- Keep your yard organized. Perform regular upkeep on your garden and lawn to keep plants cut and in order. Trimming plants and bushes can prevent mosquito resting spots.
- Use fans. Mosquitoes do not fare well in windy environments. Install fans to help keep them away from your yard.
- Inspect your yard consistently. Try to find mosquito breeding grounds and eliminate them on a regular basis. It is always smart to consider asking your local mosquito control experts for assistance.
How Does Professional Treatment Prevent Mosquito Infestations?
If all of these tips could not prevent an infestation in your yard, it’s time to call your local mosquito exterminators. The mosquito extermination experts at Vermont Pest Control will work with you to set up a plan for you yard using repellents, exclusion efforts, and other strategies.
How To Prevent Mosquitoes In Your Yard in Vermont
Serving Vermont since 1991