How Do You Keep Mosquitoes Away Naturally?
You can find countless articles online featuring tips and tricks to help to keep mosquitoes away. But which natural repellents will actually repel mosquitoes? In general, these are the best ways to keep naturally prevent mosquitoes:
- Eliminate standing water sources around your house.
- Use fans outside.
- Wear bright clothing and long sleeves.
- Use essential oils, like lemon eucalyptus, lavender, and peppermint.
Natural Methods of Repelling Mosquitoes
The best way to repel mosquitoes naturally is to limit what might attract them in your outdoor area. The most important step in this process is to get rid of all sources of standing water. Still water can usually be covered or removed from pools, birdbaths, children’s playsets, buckets, and more. Make sure to inspect your yard for standing water regularly. In addition, mosquitoes aren’t strong enough to fly in heavy wind. Turning on a fan when you are spending time outside is a great way to naturally repel mosquitoes.
Do You Have a Mosquito Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
Mosquito Repellents You Can Make At Home
Essential oils can help with lots of things, but do any of them work as a natural mosquito repellent? It’s always important to perform skin patch tests after diluting essential oils with carrier oils. Here’s what we have learned about the following DIY mosquito solutions:
- Lemon eucalyptus oil. Lemon eucalyptus is classified by the EPA and the CDC as a mosquito repellent. Please note, though, that it has not been approved for use on kids younger than three years old.
- Peppermint oil. When combined with a carrier oil like canola or olive, peppermint can keep mosquitoes away with its sharp fragrance.
- Catnip oil: Taken from catnip via steam distillation, catnip oil is EPA-approved and can provide up to seven hours of mosquito protection in some cases.
- Lavender oil: Lavender is effective at repelling adult mosquitoes with its masking, powerful scent.
Do Vitamin B and Coconut Oil Keep Mosquitoes Away?
Despite some rumors that Vitamin B will keep mosquitoes away, all research has found that it does not have an effect on mosquito preference. Similar studies have been conducted with coconut oil, with similar results. While it doesn’t work on its own, topical applications of coconut oil on the skin mixed with essential oils can keep mosquitoes away. Always talk to your doctor before trying any homemade mosquito repellents.
How Do You Keep Mosquitoes Away Naturally? in Vermont
Serving Vermont since 1991