There are four cockroaches found in Vermont: the American cockroach, brown-banded cockroach, German cockroach, and oriental cockroach. Though some are more common than others, there’s no doubting that roaches are a dreaded pest problem for home and business owners alike. Not only are these pests feared in the hearts of many people, but they also can be dangerous as they spread germs and trigger allergies. Bottom line: no one wants to deal with a cockroach problem. The best form of cockroach control is prevention, and the team at Vermont Pest Control is here to share their top tips for preventing roaches in your Vermont home.
8 Best Cockroach Prevention Tips
Roaches are excellent hiders and love to take shelter in the dark, damp corners of your property. To avoid the discovery of an infestation, it’s important to learn how to limit their chances of survival in the first place. Here’s how:
- Clean your kitchen. Roaches will gladly feast on food crumbs and spillage in your kitchen. Clean up after mealtimes to keep them away.
- Repair leaky pipes and avoid excess moisture. Attracted to moisture, cockroaches will assemble in damp areas created by plumbing problems in the home.
- Be wary of cardboard boxes. Cockroaches are known to live in and breed in cardboard boxes. Be cautious when moving them and consider using plastic tubs for storage instead.
- Take out garbage regularly. Don’t let cockroaches ravage your trash: make sure to take it out regularly and secure it in a bin with a tight-fitting lid.
- Seal cracks and crevices. Roaches can squeeze inside through small holes. Use caulk to seal cracks and holes that permit entry into your property.
- Eliminate their food sources. Keep all of your food stored in airtight sealed containers to limit food sources to roach populations.
- Pick up pet food from the floor. If you tend to leave out pet food 24/7, you should think twice. Pet food is a common contributor to pest and roach problems.
- Declutter your property. Roaches will gladly hide in dark, damp corners of your property. Avoid clutter and regularly clean your surroundings.
When to Get Professional Help to Prevent Cockroaches
Let’s face it: no one wants to deal with a roach problem on their own. If you’re having trouble preventing roaches, it’s best to call your local pest control experts at Vermont Pest Control. Contact our cockroach exterminators today to learn how we can keep you and your family safe from roaches in Vermont.
How to Prevent Cockroaches in Your Vermont Home in Vermont
Serving Vermont since 1991